How to buy a used car online: buying advice for modern times.
Not too long ago, when in the market for a secondhand car, you were usually limited to cars located within about a 50-mile radius of your home. Your primary source of information was the classifieds section in your local newspaper.
That’s changed dramatically. Sure, your local classified ads remain a good source of information about available secondhand cars. But, thanks to the online marketplace for previously owned cars, your potential marketplace now stretches from coast-to-coast.
When considering how to buy a used car online, you need to keep the typical used car questions in mind, along with some specific ones that pertain to buying online.
Here you’ll find practical used car buying advice for online purchases.
Start by scouting what’s available. Some viable sites include:
Also, online bulletin boards sites that contain secondhand car listings (such as Craigslist) can be a good potential source of vehicles, too.
Once you’ve found some candidates:
- Do some research. Check reliability records for the makes and model years in question.
- Comparison shop online to find the best prices for your top choices.
- Get the Kelley Blue Book value for those cars.
- Order vehicle history reports before buying.
- Have a mechanic inspect the vehicle. (There are services located throughout the country that will perform this for you if the vehicle isn’t in your area.)
- Have your financing in place.
- Negotiate for the best price based on your research (this may not be an option depending on the seller or the site).
Consult trusted sources to find more information about how to buy a used car online.
Sources like AAA, the Better Business Bureau, your state’s attorney general’s site, as well as other government sites may offer more solid used car buying advice, and provide answers to other used car questions.
No matter what, just be sure to get advice from a knowledgeable, impartial source that has your best interests in mind.
Editor’s note: After you buy your secondhand car, take good care of it with quality auto parts from another trusted source: Advance Auto Parts. Keep an eye out here for more info on used cars coming soon.